Open is aware of an information security incident. It has been confirmed that one customer in Australia has been impacted. We are currently investigating whether other customers have been impacted. Transparency is one of our core values and we will share as much about the incident as we can without negatively impacting security or customer privacy.
Here is what we can currently share
- Open distributes car and home insurance to Australian consumers through a partnership with ahm
- ahm customers are able to obtain online quotes using a tool that is managed by Open
- There is a specific and isolated technical issue that impacted the ahm online insurance quote tool and we are working quickly to resolve it
- Whilst our investigation continues, we have taken steps with ahm to temporarily suspend the online tool
- Together with ahm, we have spoken to the impacted customer, apologised, are providing continued support
What we are doing now
We’re working around the clock and we’re fixing the issue to ensure that it does not happen again.
If we find that any other customers have been impacted, we will contact them immediately.
In addition, Open and our partners will take the required steps to notify regulatory authorities.
We understand that this incident may be concerning for customers.
ahm car and home insurance customers can discuss the matter by phone on 1300 518 049 or visit the information pages on the website for any updates.
Open Co-founder and Co-CEO, Jonathan Buck, said:
“We’ve spoken to the customer and apologised. At this stage we believe it’s an isolated technical issue, however, our investigation continues. We strive to deliver the best insurance experiences for our customers and privacy and security are integral to this. As a result, we're working around the clock to fix this issue and ensure it does not happen again.”
Further media enquiries
Head of Marketing and Communications